Thursday, April 15, 2010

Creating Energy By Decluttering

Oh the task that loomed ahead of me caused me great dread! The decluttering of my overstuffed, undersized bedroom (or multipurpose room as it is a bedroom/coat closet/linen closet/storage room). This little room housed an a great quantity of "stuff". I couldn't wait to get rid of some of this "stuff", but didn't really know how to get started.

So one Friday afternoon I just opened up the closet door and started pulling things out, making piles for 1)give away 2)keep and 3)throw out (unfortunately nothing I have to eliminate would net me a large sum of money so no use in using Craig's List or Ebay. Does that say anything about what I own?? I hope not!) After working for several hours on this, I had to quit for the day, but the bedroom was such a disaster area that I couldn't sleep there for two nights. Sleeping on the sofa was definitely incentive to get this task completed! So I spent another full day reorganizing and eliminating til there was nothing to store under the bed, behind the door or on the floor of the closet. My jeep was so stuffed with things to donate, I could barely see out the back window! Oh how light I felt after getting rid of this "stuff". My clothes were organized and wouldn't get wrinkled just from hanging in an overstuffed closet, and I could get something off the shelf without an avalanche of clothes toppling on my head! Who knew this could bring such joy! And then I pondered how I could have ever gotten this much stuff. Now I am completely repulsed by the thought of shopping! I have just enough space for everything I have. So I now know that a new purchase will require an elimination. Oh that makes shopping so much more interesting (and less costly than before!). Even when I was out of town and hadn't packed something warm enough, I had to really debate with myself about purchasing something new. What would I get rid of? Can I find something inexpensive that will get utilized for many occassions. It took awhile, but the versatile piece was found (and the elimination was made when I got home). That'll teach me to not pack properly!! And for the this shoe lover, the task of eliminating shoes was tough. Do I miss them. Nope. I should've done this long ago! Do I want to buy more shoes. Well, yes. Will I? Not without getting rid of a pair! I'm sticking to the rule!

And as for the whole Feng Shui thing that says that you shouldn't store things under the bed- I have become a believer. I now love my bed and my bedroom and feel so peaceful there. Weird huh?! But it's true, not storing stuff under there gives good energy to the room!

Next up, the kitchen! It's a tiny kitchen, but took me a whole day to declutter. I made the most of it, because as I found items I hadn't seen for a while, I had to test them out. Early in the day, I found a smoothie machine and all day long I tried new inventions like iced coffee, iced caramel coffee, pink lemonade smoothie, and whatever else I had on hand. The smoothie machine was definitely a keeper. So far the George Forman has been kept, but I'm not sure why. Anyway, the kitchen turned out great, and once again, the Goodwill loves me. I've almost considered an open house to show off the joy I have about my new space!

To celebrate my efforts, tomorrow I get to go to the flooring store and order my new floors! I couldn't be more excited. Thank you Talane Miedaner for offering these decluttering tips! Try it and you'll be amazed at the boost you get from doing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment