Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thinking Positively and Expecting the Best

Who hasn't heard of the power of positive thinking? Have you ever tried to put it into action? From the book "Coach Yourself To Success" Talane Miedaner offers the tip "Never Consider The Negative". Which means that you should put all your focus on a positive outcome because what you focus on is likely what you'll get.

I put this principle into action last week and today. Now I also am a firm believer in praying as well. So I used prayer in tandem with this principle.

Last week, I wanted to order some accessories for my motorcycle from the Yamaha store but the accessories were overpriced and totalled $263. I could get them on the internet for less than that, but I had been given a gift certificate for $250 to buy those accessories from Yamaha. I decided that I didn't want to pay any more than the amount of the gift certificate for the parts, and so I would only order from Yamaha if they would give me a 10% discount. Otherwise, I would use the gift certificate for needed maintenance and repairs and order the parts online.

So I went into the store and greeted the clerk with a smile and a 'hello'. He asked what he could do for me, and I gave him the printed sheet with the parts I wanted and said, "I am ready to order these from you if you can give me a 10% discount." He didn't even hesitate and said, "I don't see why we can't do that." Amazing! I would have never done that before but I expected to be accommodated and knew exactly what I wanted and went after it.

Today, I had representative from a flooring store come and work up an estimate for me for new floors. Based on my square footage and the cost per square foot they gave me for the specific style I chose, I had a rough estimate of what the floors should cost. So when they called me with the specific quote, I asked if I could have a discount for paying cash. The sales person said she would call me right back with an answer. She did and it wasn't as much as I'd hoped, so I said I would order the floors from them if they'd take an additional $50 off the cash price. She said "yes" and I got a very good deal on my floors!

(By the way, these two activities are occurring because they are on the list of "energy sappers" that need to be taken care of so that I will have more energy for the things that are really important to me!)

It is great to see how positive thinking and expectations can have great results! I can't wait to continue to use this principle!

Good luck to you in practicing and using this tip, and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment